Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Life Next Door

When I first read the back cover of this book in some book store at a St. Louis outlet mall, I wanted to buy it right there, even though I didn't have any money on me. Okay, so I wanted my mom to buy it for me right there, especially since I was about to finish the book I had brought with me for the trip (I ended up reading 5 books on the trip). Of course she told me to rent it from the library, but after reading the back cover, I knew that it was a book that I had to own. Now that I own it, I am not sure it that was the best idea. I mean, the idea for the story wasn't bad, but the back cover made it sound so much better than it really was. I was expecting a forbidden romance (which it was), but not some mom who doesn't even pay attention to her own daughter's life and lets some yahoo guy from the south manipulate her life. It the mom had been more involved in her daughter's life, then the story would have been more interesting because she would be on her daughter's case more (even though she is the State Senator).

Jase, the average next door neighbor, although I wouldn't know if he is really the "Average" next door neighbor considering I don't have a hot neighbor or even know my neighbors. Anyway, he climbs up Samantha's trellis one night to get to her hiding spot on the roof where she watches the Garrets. If some cute next door neighbor guy climbed up to my roof, I don't know if I would be scared and punch him down or just allow him up and talk to me. I mean, I guess I would let him stay if he was cute and my gut wasn't telling me to punch him down. So anyway, after he climbs up the trellis to meet Samantha, her life is turned upside down.

Since Samantha's mom isn't as involved in Samantha's life, she can pretty much do whatever she wants (to an extent). She still has to attend whatever events her mom drags her to, but other than that, she is free. I wanted to punch Samantha's mom so badly and just knock some sense into her. She let some southern guy come in and pretty much ruin the fragile relationship between Samantha and her mother, if you can even call it a relationship. I think a lot of problems wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Clay. What kind of name is Clay anyway?

Then there is Tim. For a while there, I thought she would end up with Tim, but then go back to Jase, but she didn't. Tim is the guy who doesn't put up with any B.S. He seems like the bad guy, but he really isn't, which is evident towards the end when he helps Samantha solve her problems with Jase and her mom. Tim really grew on me, while his sister Nan just bothered me. I didn't like her from the start, maybe it was because her name is Nan (check out my review for the Too Far series and you will see why). I guess I will forever associate the name Nan with annoying girls. So if your name is Nan and you aren't annoying, I am sorry.

All in all, there wasn't as much romance as I thought, no forbidden romance, and too many problems. Overall, I give this book 3.5-4 star rating. For sure a summer read.

Read on!
Maddy Nicole c:

No comments:

Post a Comment